In this podcast Professor Mark Humphries looks at the life and significance of St Peter and his role in spreading Christianity into the Roman Empire.
1. St Peter according the Gospels of Mark, Matthew and Luke.
2. Peter in the Gospel of John.
3. Early Christian communities.
4. Peter in Rome.
5. Peter, the Bishops and the teachings of Jesus.
6. Developing the legend of St Peter.
7. Peter and the primacy of the Church of Rome.
8. Was the Church of Rome acknowledged as the most important?
9. Complications with the Cult of St Peter at Rome.
10. The continuing importance of St Peter throughout the ages.