The Catholic Church splits
In this podcast Professor Robert Swanson of the University of Birmingham looks at the Great Schism, the split within the Catholic Church from 1378 to 1418.
2. Legal question: which pope is valid?
3. A political problem for nations.
4. What kind of solution can solve the problem?
5. An intellectual propaganda war.
6. Suggestions for a solution.
7. Who should elect the new pope?
8. The cardinals rebel.
9. The Council of Constance.
10. The impact of the Schism on European politics.
11. The impact on political thought: new ideas of representation and accountability.