In this podcast Dr Elena Hore of the University of Essex looks at the relationship between the USSR and Eastern Europe during the Cold War.
1. The significance of the Great Patriotic War. The Yalta Conference
2. Why did the Soviet Union come to dominate Eastern Europe?
3. Disagreements arise between the powers.
4. A desire for control and stability.
5. Establishing friendly Soviet regimes.
6. Using Eastern Europe as a laboratory. The experience of Czeckoslavakia in 1968.
7. Dissent and the importance of Eastern Europe to the ideological legitamacy of the Soviet Union.
8. The Warsaw Letter and The Brezhnev Doctrine.