In this podcast Professor David Anderson of St Cross College, University of Oxford discusses the impact of the Cold War on Africa.
1. Introduction: the Cold War in Africa and the developing world.
3. The Global Context.
4. African Nationalism and independence compromised by Super Power intervention and espionage.
5. Wave of post colonial military coups supported by the Cold War powers.
6. The Belgian Congo and the intervention of the Cubans.
7. The collapse of the Portuguese Empire in Southern Africa.
8. The Horn of Africa. Proxy war between Ethiopia and Somalia.
9. The end of the Cold War in Africa and it's legacy.