In this podcast Professor Eric Evans discusses the relationship and rivalry between Gladstone and Disraeli and their reforms.
1. The rivalry and antipathy between Gladstone and Disraeli: Backgrounds and early careers.
2. Conservative and Liberal differences.
3. Commitment to reform - how significant were Gladstone's reforms?
4. The downfall of the Gladstone government. Disraeli elected under the banner of liberating people from regulation and the dead hand of the state.
5. Disraeli 1874 - building on Gladstone's legislation. Threats to the British Empire.
6. The legalising of Trade Unions by Gladstone and the legalising of peaceful picketing by Disraeli.
7. The Balkan Crisis. Disraeli's political motives.