Strengths and Weaknesses
In this podcast Professor Peter Gaunt of the University of Chester discusses the strengths and weaknesses of of the Commonwealth and Protectorate from 1649-60 and examines how radical the new republic was.
2. Strong Navy and Military.
3. English ascendancy in Scotland and Ireland.
5. The Protectorate & Checks and Balances.
6. Local and County Government in Britain and Ireland.
7. The importance of Cromwell's leadership.
8. Weaknesses in the Republican regimes.
9. Constitutional uncertainty.
10. Continuing divisions at the centre of power.
11. Division between the army and the regimes.
12. Conclusion. How radical were the regimes?