A question that can't be answered?
In this podcast Professor Barry Coward, former President of the Historical association asks: "Was the Cromwellian Protectorate a military dictatorship?"
1. Introduction. A question that can't be answered?
2. Authoritarian examples of the regime.
3. 'Security', censorship and the war on terror.
4. The Instrument of Power and limits on the power of the Protector.
5. Critical and satirical material not always censored.
6. Evidence of religious toleration.
7. Neither a dictatorship or a constitutional regime.
8. Cromwell safeguarding the cause of 'Godly Reformation'.