Rebellion, the Reformation and Plantations
In this podcast Professor Sean Connolly of Queen's University Belfast examines the Tudor monarchy in Ireland.
1. Introduction to Ireland in the late 15th century.
2. Henry VIII's attempts to consolidate his power in Ireland.
3. English chief governers struggle to cope.
4. Dealing with the feudal Lords of English descent. Shane O'Neill. Revolt and clashes.
5. The Second Desmond Revolt. A change of policy. The beginning of the plantations.
6. Reformation: refusal of the native Irish and Irish of English descent to accept the new faith.