A War of Contradictions
In this podcast Professor Sean Connolly of Queen's University Belfast examines the Eleven Years War, its' context within the English Civil War and alliances between differing Catholic and Protestant sides.
1. Introduction - a war of many parts and contradictions.
2. The rising of the native Irish in the province of Ulster. The beginning of a prolongued war.
3. The Old English joining with the Ulster Irish to protect the Crown and themselves against Protestant extremism. The emergence of the Catholic Confederation.
4. Irish Protestants initially supporting the King. The truce with Confederate Catholics. The Scottish army sides with parliament leaving the Ulster Protestant side conflicted.
5. Unlikely alliances between Catholic and Protestant sides: constantly changing political configurations.