William Wallace and Robert the Bruce
In this podcast Dr Michael Brown of the University of St Andrews looks at the origins of the Wars of Scottish Independence, how they developed and their significance.
1. Royal Death, the Guardians of the Peace & Edward I.
2. The succession crisis.
3. Edward I and John Balliol
4. War between England & France. The Franco-Scottish Alliance. Edward invades Scotland and takes the Stone of Destiny.
5. William Wallace and the rebellion of 1297.
6. The death of Wallace but the continuation of resistence.
7. The negotiated peace of 1304.
8. Robert the Bruce.