Trade Imbalance, Drugs and War
In this podcast Dr. Yangwen Zheng of the University of Manchester looks at the origins, theatre and consequences of the Opium Wars.
1. The origins of the First Opium War: Tea and Trade Imbalance.
2. China in the 18th Century: industrialisation, a growing middle class and new urban sensibilities.
3. Getting Opium into China: The East India Company and private traders.
4. Emperor Daoguang and the first war on drugs
5. War and retaliation.
6. Elliot, Pottinger and the Treaty of Nanking
7. Reparations, Hong Kong and the Second Opium War
8. Consequences of the War. Long term impact on Sino-Western relations.