Social, Moral and Religious Life
In this podcast Dr Ursula Rothe & Dr Colin Andrews of the Open University discuss how the social, moral and religious life in Rome differed from that of ancient Greece.
1. What was Ancient Greece? The political systems of Athens.
2. Spartan society.
3. Spartan Morality.
4. Hellenes and a common Greek identity?
5. Roman Culture.
6. The influence of Greece and their religion.
7. Slavery in Athens, Sparta and Rome.
8. A heirarchy of slaves in Rome.
9. Gender and the role of women in Athens and Sparta.
10. Gender and the role of women in Rome.
11. Poor women.
12. Second class citizens?
13. How did these societies view each other?