The Historical Association Historical Fiction Prize and the Joan Blyth Memorial Prize
Write Your Own Historical Fiction Competition 2013 - Bigger and Better than Ever Before!
Get your Year 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 students to bring the past to life!
One of the key attributes of historical fiction is that it has a convincing setting in a past time and place. Students can set their stories in ANY period or place in the past, so the story can fit in with and extend any historical topic you may be studying.
Winning students will each receive a cash prize of £25 and an engraved Bath Aqua Blue glass paperweight. Schools will receive a year's FREE subscription to the HA.
1. Across Years 5 and 6 there will be two prizes for the best individual story.
2. Across Years 7, 8 and 9 there will be three prizes for the best story written by an individual student who is part of a whole class or year group who are all writing historical stories.
3. This year there is a brand new category - for the best fictional historical character in a convincing historical setting. Three prizes will be on offer here.
There is also an online CPD course ‘Using Historical Fiction in the classroom' running throughout February on the HA website for teachers interested in extending their understanding on using fiction effectively in the history classroom.
Also don't forget the ‘Young Quills' competition to find the best historical fiction for young people published in 2012.
1. Entries are free.
2. Entry is open to all students in Years 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 in the academic year 2012/13.
3. Entry is limited to 3 entries per school.
4. Entries may be word-processed or handwritten, but must be legible.
5. The story may be illustrated.
6. We regret that we will be unable to return entries, so please make copies.
7. Each entry must have a completed entry form attached which can be obtained from the Historical Association website.
8. Entries must be received by 20 May 2013 and should be sent to ‘Write Your Own Historical Story Competition', The Historical Association, 59a Kennington Park Road, London SE11 4JH
9. The results of the competition will be posted on the Historical Association website: www.history.org.uk and on the ‘Historical fiction in the Classroom' blog: http://davemartin46.wordpress.com/ on 24 June 2013.
10. Prize winners will be notified in writing and will receive their prizes by post.
- Historical Fiction Competition Form 2013
448 KB PDF document