In this podcast Joshua Hollands of University College London discusses the early LGBT civil rights movement in the United States from the end of World War II, through the Stonewall Riots to political mobilisation and Gay Pride.
1. Introduction. WW2 and the Cold War.
2. Early politicisation
4. The 1970s: Gay Pride and Coming Out.
5. Immediate issues, greater visibility and electoral success.
6. An explosion of women organising.
7. Anti-discrimination and the Anita Bryant backlash.
9. Harvey Milk.
10. Resistance to direct action.