In this podcast Dr Emma Vickers of the University of Reading discusses British Lesbian History in the 19th Century and passionate friendship.
1. Introduction: Romantic Friendship.
2. Acceptability and accusation. The significance of class, professional status and age
3. Historiography - Carol Rosenberg: The Female World of Love and Ritual. Lillian Faderman: Surpassing the Love of Men.
4. The significance of Anne Lister's Diaries.
5. Sharon Marcus: Redefining understandings of female relationships.