Trouble in France
In this podcast Emeritus Professor William Doyle of the University of Bristol looks at the origins of the French Revolution.
2. Military overstretch, debt and institutional paralysis.
3. Louis XVI, Frederick the Great and the failure of the harvest
4. Demands for more representation and loss of control over the press.
5. The significance of Enlightenment ideas.
6. The negative impact of economic liberalisation and free trade.
7. Alienation between central authority and the people.
8. Growing widespread resentment at Enlightenment ideas.