The Rise of the NHS
In this podcast Professor Keith Laybourn of the University of Huddersfield looks at the period 1945-64. What were the key forces that led to the welfare state and the post war consensuses? To what extent did this consensus transform the lives of British people?
1. What was the Welfare State and what were its origins?
2. The NHS & Aneurin Bevan. The right at point of need to be treated.
3. Housing, Education and Foreign Policy consensus.
4. Was there a consensus from 1945-79? Diverse opinions within parties.
5. Did the welfare state fundamentally change people's lives?