In this podcast Dr Larry Butler of the University of East Anglia examines how have interpretations of the British Empire have changed over the years.
2. The nature of imperial control: what mechanisms did Britain employ to acquire and control the largest empire in world history?
3. The informal British Empire.
4. The economic aspects of Empire.
5. The social and cultural aspects of the imperial past.
6. Popular attitudes to Empire within Britain.
7. Empire history as an integral part of British history and the formation of British identity.
8. Post-imperial Britain.
9. The special relationship between Britain and the United States.
10. The social and political consequences of Empire on the British state, the monarchy and British public policy.
11. Diversity in the Empire.