Short and Long Term Effects
In this podcast Professor Jonathan Riley-Smith looks at the initial and long term effects of Crusades and examines how they have been treated by both western and eastern historians and thinkers over time.
1. When did the crusades end?
2. The influence of Sir Walter Scott and Joseph Francois Michaud.
3. Western historical perceptions of the Crusades.
4. A gulf in perceptions.
5. Arab Nationalism and Eastern re-evaluation.
6. Pan Islamism and the theory of Crusaderism.
7. Current Academic Debates.