Apocalypse Cults through Time
In this podcast Professor Penelope Corfield looks at the history of 'End of the World Cults'.
1. Why do people at times become urgently convinced that 'the End of the World is Nigh?'
2. Are there any particular triggers in history that make such beliefs become widespread?
3. And are there particular times in history when End of the World prophecies multiply very notably?
4. What do church leaders say about religious prophesies of the imminent end of the world?
5. What effects do 'End of the World' beliefs have upon people who hold them?
6. Why do prophetic cults sometimes turn violent?
7. What happens when the world doesn't end?
8. How long do groups of people continue to wait for the End of the World to arrive?
9. Have there been any positive contributions from End of the World beliefs in history?
10. What is the long-term future of End of the World beliefs?
11. What continues to attract people to End of the World cults?