Change and Continuity
In this podcast Dr Janice Holmes of the Open University looks at the significance of the religious movements in the 19th century in producing social and political change in the UK.
1. Introduction to the religious landscape in 19th century Britain and Ireland.
2. Who were the dissenters or non-conformists?
3. Evangelicalism. Victorian Morality.
4. Anglo-Catholicism, ritualism and the Oxford Movement.
5. Liberal Christianity/Rationalism and the response to the scientific discoveries of the 19th century.
6. The impact of evangelicalism, ritualism and rationalism on 19th century society.
7. Methodism and the Working Classes.
8. The established churches: victims of change? Catholic emancipation and Ireland.
9. The impact of religious movements in the 19th century on social change.