The Islamic Golden Age
In this set of podcasts Emeritus Professor Gerald Hawting of SOAS, University of London provides an introduction to the Abbasid (750-1258) Caliphate.
1. An introduction to the Abbasids.
2. The diminishing power of the Caliph and the rise of the Turks.
3. Regional fragmentation and the rise of rival Caliphates in Egypt and Spain.
4. The loss of religious authority to the scholars and the rise of Sharia Law.
5. The Golden Age of Islamic culture.
6. The crystallisation of Sunni & Shia Islam.
7. The Mongols and the fall of the Abbasid Caliphate.