In this podcast Professor Stana Nenadic looks at Artisans and the craft economy in Scotland c.1780-1914 and the impact of the Industrial Revolution.
1. The impact of the Industrial Revolution on the Scottish craft and artisan industry.
2. Who were these artisans? Highland jewellery. Skilled women. Craftwork and the intimate relationship with its producer.
3. Gender mix.
4. Mobility within craft communities.
5. Impact of the first Industrial Revolution.
6. What value was placed on craft and the craft economy and how has that changed over time?
7. What was the impact of the British Empire on the craft economy?