Society in Ancient Greece
In this podcast Dr Fiona Hobden of the University of Liverpool discusses what Greek Tragedy can tell us about society of ancient Greece.
1. Introduction. The anxieties and concerns of the Ancient Greeks
2. Rewriting the myths to encourage discussion.
3. The Nature of Justice. Aeschylus' Oresteia.
4. Political commentary.
5. Sophocles' Antigone. Family vs. State. Divine vs. Earthly authority. Self determination vs. fate.
6. The importance of the family.
7. Religious and social anxiety.