The Rise of the Gentry
In this podcast Dr Sean Cunnigham examines how did Henry VII decreased the power of the nobility whilst simultaneously increasing the power of the monarchy.
1. Medieval reliance on their nobility. Power over law and military
3. Controlling and decreasing the power of the nobles through bonds. Insuring loyalty.
4. Ensuring Crown dominance. Nobles vs. the increasingly powerful beaurocracy.
5. Tudor propaganda and codes of practice. The creation of the Privy Chamber.
6. The continuing need noble support. The accession of Henry VIII.