Unemployment and Economic Decline
In this podcast Professor Keith Laybourn of the University of Huddersfield discusses the key reasons for the growing domestic problems under the Labour and Conservative Governments 1964-79 and looks at the effectiveness of their response.
1. Introduction - unemployment and relative economic decline.
3. Challenges to the parties: Industrial disputes & the Industrial Relations Act.
4. Labour offer a social contract, social provisions in return for Unions to control their wage demands.
5. A sense of decay brought about by a declining economy but also a sense of change and possibility.
6. The Welfare State in a sentence...