In this podcast Professor Penelope Corfield looks at the legacy of the Chartist Movement, links to later political movements and discusses what the fate of the Chartist Movement can tell us about the difficulties in organising sustained protests and campaigning from outside the political system.
1. The Chartist Movement after 1848
2. Why were the leaders unable to regain mass support?
3. What happened to individual Chartists after the collapse of the movement?
4. Links between Chartism and the early Labour movement
5. Differences between Chartism and the later Labour movement
6. What happened to the six key aims of the Chartist movement?
7. Lessons for future protest movements
8. How long do defeated causes last beyond their outward defeat?