Key questions in this lesson were:
- What did the Vikings value?
- What can we discover from sagas and poetry?
- To introduce the class to another facet of Viking culture - their literature, in the form of sagas and poetry.
- For the children to appreciate the value the Vikings placed on poetry, on fame and reputation, on prowess in battle, and on material rewards.
- To introduce the children to the beauties and intricacies of Viking poetry and to provide a model for their own writing.
Who were the Vikings (and what made them tick)? We had five afternoons to explore this with our year 5/6 class.
We taught this lesson, dealing with Viking sagas and poetry, and Viking values, in Week 4. This was after the class had 'excavated' a Viking burial mound, conducted group investigations of aspects of Viking life, and discovered what place names could tell us about Viking settlement patterns.
Background information for teachers