In this podcast Professor Edward MacDonald of the University of Prince Edward Island discusses the origins of the Charlottetown Conference of 1864, Canadian Confederation and the development of Canada over the 20th Century.
1. What was the makeup of British North America before the Conference?
2. What had been the impact of the American war of Independence on British North America?
3. What was the relationship like between Britain and the North American colonies in the 1850s?
4. What were the key forces that led to talk of Confederation?
5. Why is the conference in Charlottetown in 1864?
6. How did the conference proceed and what was discussed?
7. What is the legacy of the conference?
8. How does Canadian Confederation develop?
9. When do we start to see a sense of Canadian identity develop, where people start to identify as Canadian?
10. What impact has the United States had on the development of the Canadian identity?
11. How is the Charlottetown Conference seen by historians and Canadians now?