The Foundation of Oceonography
In this podcast Dr Jordan Goodman looks at the Challenger Expedition and its' scientific significance. The Challenger expedition of 1872 to 1876 was a scientific exercise that made many discoveries to lay the foundation of oceanography. The expedition was named after the mother vessel, HMS Challenger.
1. What was the Challenger Expedition?
2. Who was involved?
3. What were the Royal Society's scientific goals for the voyage?
4. Where did the expedition take Challenger to?
5. What were Challenger's key discoveries?
6. Who was involved in examining the results?