The Great Hunger
In this podcast Professor Peter Gray examines the impact and significance of the Irish Famine and looks at why it was so devastating.
1. Introduction - the most serious peace time catastrophe in 19th Century Europe.
2. Why was Ireland so poor? Why was the potato so important to the labouring poor?
3. The Potato Blight: Ecological catastrophe, international food shortage and inflation.
4. Was the blight alone responsible for the Irish Famine? What other things contributed to the devastation?
5. A crisis of entitlement.
6. Human agency - the response of the British State.
7. The Irish Poor Law
8. Emigration to UK and North America. Coffin ships.
9. Conclusion. Questions of responsibility and indifference.