In this podcast Paula Kitching looks at the history of the British Jewish Community from 1800.
1. 1800-1890 - growth in British Jewish presence. The Ashkenazi and the Sephardi. The Board of the deputies of British Jews and Benjamin Disraeli.
2. Immigration from central and eastern Europe to escape persecution. Big increase in the British Jewish population.
3. The First World War, The Balfour Declaration, the Battle of Cable Street and Palestine.
4. World War Two. The Holocaust. The British Jewish Community one of the few surviving European communities.
5. Israel. Increasing integration of the British Jewish community.