Reforming the Houses of Parliament
In this podcast Dr Rosie Kennedy of Goldsmiths College, University of London discusses the origins and significance of the Parliament Act of 1911, the historic confrontation between the House of Lords and the House of Commons and the emergence of a more democratic political system.
1. Introduction. New Liberalism and Social Reform.
2. Liberal Majority in the Commons vs. Conservative majority in the Lords.
3. Asquith seeks extra fund from parliament. Taxation and the People's Budget.
4. General election - liberals campaign the peers vs. the people.
5. The Parliament Bill sought to curtail the power of the Lords.
6. How did the Bill change Parliament? Home Rule for Ireland.
7. A step towards increased democracy in Britain.