A Battle of Empires and Ideas
In this podcast Professor Roey Sweet of the University of Leicester looks at the relationship between Britain and France in the 18th century.
1. The Franco-British Rivalry
2. France, Jacobites and the threat of invasion.
3. Rivals for overseas trade.
4. Global war with France.
5. Cultural influence of France. French the dominant language.
6. The emergence of the 'British' identity and of British culture.
7. How did the French and wider European world see the British?
8. The influence of this rivalry on the French Revolution.