The Red Army
Why was Mao Zedong successful in achieving a Communist Revolution in 1949?
In this podcast Professor Rana Mitter of the University of Oxford looks at why Mao Zedong 毛泽东 was successful in achieving a Communist Revolution in 1949.
2. The future of any revolution would be through mobilising the peasants.
3. Sun Yat Sen, the USSR and Chiang Kai Shek.
4. The Red Army: Power grows out of the barrel of a gun.
5. The Chinese Communist Party.
6. The importance of war to Mao's ascendancy: WW2 & the civil war.
Rana Mitter, Modern China: A Very Short Introduction (Oxford, 2008)